Monday, April 18, 2022

Lesson 411 - Mechanics - Punctuation - Apostrophes

View lesson on Daily Grammar

Use the apostrophe in writing contractions. The apostrophe shows that a letter or letters have been omitted. A pronoun and a verb or a verb with the word "not" are the commonest contractions. 
 
Examples: 
you are  =  you're
do not  =  don't

Some contractions stand for more than one pair of words. 
 
Example: 
she is  =  she's
she has  =  she's

Three contractions are irregular. 
 
shall not  =  shan't
will not  =  won't
cannot  =  can't

Instructions: Write the contractions of the following pairs of words.

1. we are  -  it is  -  you have  -  who is  -  has not

2. I will  -  I am  -  she will  -  she shall  -  I shall

3. I have  -  we shall  -  they are  -  are not  -  did not

4. he is  -  you will  -  you are  -  is not  -  had not

5. was not  -  have not  -  could not  -  we would  -  they will

6. should not  -  does not  -  there is  -  they have  -  you would

7. were not  -  would not  -  that is  -  I had  -  will not


--For answers scroll down.











Answers:

1. we're  -  it's  -  you've  -  who's  -  hasn't

2. I'll  -  I'm  -  she'll  -  she'll  -  I'll

3. I've  -  we'll  -  they're  -  aren't  -  didn't

4. he's  -  you'll  -  you're  -  isn't  -  hadn't

5. wasn't  -  haven't  -  couldn't  -  we'd  -  they'll

6. shouldn't  -  doesn't  -  there's  -  they've  -  you'd

7. weren't  -  wouldn't  -  that's  -  I'd  -  won't



For your convenience, all of our lessons are available on our website in our lesson archive. Our lessons are also available to purchase in an eBook and a workbook format.

No comments:

Post a Comment