Thursday, February 10, 2022

Lesson 374 - Mechanics - Punctuation - Quotation Marks

View lesson on Daily Grammar

Begin a new paragraph with each change of speaker in dialogue.

Example:

"Can I count on you?" asked Carl.

"Yes, you can," said Matthew.

"You cannot fail us," replied Claudia.

Instructions: Make new paragraphs and place quotation marks where needed in the following dialogues.

1. Knock on the door. I will be right behind you, said John. I am afraid, said James. You are bigger and older so you knock. I will do it. Why are you worried about it? It is just Halloween, interrupted Matthew, and there is nothing scary about this house.

2. Chantelle said, I never get to be the mother when we play. You can be the mother today, replied Hayley. When will I get to be the mother? asked Alise. You are too little, replied Hayley and Chantelle.

3. We are going to have a new baby, said Ann. I hope it is a boy, said Chris. We need a boy in the family. I want it to be a girl, remarked Rebecca. I don't care, said Allison. I just hope it hurries up.

4. Do you want to play on the computer with me, Mark? asked Todd. I am too little, said Mark. Mommy won't let me. Todd, you wouldn’t let him play very much if he could, stated Stephanie. Todd said, I am going to change and let him now.

5. Lindsay asked, Do we have everything for the trip? I hope so, replied Boyd. Did you get everything for Celeste? I have had it ready all day, said Lindsay.


--For answers scroll down.











Answers:

1. "Knock on the door. I will be right behind you," said John.

"I am afraid," said James. "You are bigger and older so you knock."

"I will do it. Why are you worried about it? It is just Halloween," interrupted Matthew, "and there is nothing scary about this house."


2. Chantelle said, "I never get to be the mother when we play."

"You can be the mother today," replied Hayley.

"When will I get to be the mother?" asked Elise.

"You are too little," replied Hayley and Chantelle.


3. "We are going to have a new baby," said Ann.

"I hope it is a boy," said Chris. "We need a boy in the family."

"I want it to be a girl," remarked Rebecca.

"I don't care," said Allison. "I just hope it hurries up."


4. "Do you want to play on the computer with me, Mark?" asked Todd.

"I am too little," said Mark. "Mommy won't let me."

"Todd, you wouldn’t let him play very much if he could," stated Stephanie.

Todd said, "I am going to change and let him now."


5. Lindsay asked, "Do we have everything for the trip?"

"I hope so," replied Boyd. "Did you get everything for Celeste?"

"I have had it ready all day," said Lindsay.



For your convenience, all of our lessons are available on our website in our lesson archive. Our lessons are also available to purchase in an eBook and a workbook format.

No comments:

Post a Comment