Tuesday, May 31, 2022

Lesson 437 - Mechanics - Punctuation - Brackets

View lesson on Daily Grammar

Use a bracketed sic [meaning "thus in the original"] to show that an error in quoted material is not an error in quoting, but the error was in the original text. 
 
Example: 
"i [sic] felt very bad." 
(The "I" should have been capitalized.)

Instructions: Insert [sic] where needed in the following sentences.

1. "The robber put the monie in the canvas bag."

2. "I will be leaving early tommorrow by train."

3. "I wanted to kill the man because he was a Yanky."

4. "He was a nown criminal by everyone there."

5. He complained, "I ain't going."


--For answers scroll down.











Answers:

1. "The robber put the monie [sic] in the canvas bag."

2. "I will be leaving early tommorrow [sic] by train."

3. "I wanted to kill the man because he was a Yanky [sic]."

4. "He was a nown [sic] criminal by everyone there."

5. He complained, "I ain't [sic] going."



For your convenience, all of our lessons are available on our website in our lesson archive. Our lessons are also available to purchase in an eBook and a workbook format.

No comments:

Post a Comment