Tuesday, February 22, 2022

Lesson 382 - Mechanics - Punctuation - Semicolons

View lesson on Daily Grammar

Use a semicolon between the two independent clauses of a compound sentence joined by a co-ordinate conjunction if commas are also used in the sentence. 
 
Example: 
Although the story is impossible, I believe you; and the others will, too.

Instructions: Place semicolons where they are needed in the following sentences.

1. Since you asked my opinion, I will tell you and I hope you will listen well.

2. Although he is highly qualified, he is not dependable and I am afraid to hire him.

3. Because Sarah is absent a great deal, she has a hard time keeping up but she is willing to work overtime.

4. Although I prefer English, I know that math is important and I will work hard in both classes.

5. When you arrive on the train, take a taxi to the bus station or I can meet you at the train.


--For answers scroll down.











Answers:

1. Since you asked my opinion, I will tell you; and I hope you will listen well.

2. Although he is highly qualified, he is not dependable; and I am afraid to hire him.

3. Because Sarah is absent a great deal, she has a hard time keeping up; but she is willing to work overtime.

4. Although I prefer English, I know that math is important; and I will work hard in both classes.

5. When you arrive on the train, take a taxi to the bus station; or I can meet you at the train.



For your convenience, all of our lessons are available on our website in our lesson archive. Our lessons are also available to purchase in an eBook and a workbook format.

No comments:

Post a Comment