Thursday, December 21, 2023

Lesson 264 - Parts of the Sentence - Adverb Clauses

View lesson on Daily Grammar
 
A complex sentence is made up of an independent clause (which can stand alone and make sense) and a dependent clause (which must be attached to the independent clause to make sense). 
 
Example: 
The television was playing (independent clause) as I left the room (dependent clause). 
 
There are three kinds of dependent clauses: adjective clause, adverb clause, and noun clause.

An adverb clause is a dependent clause that modifies a verb, adjective, or another adverb. It usually modifies the verb.

Adverb clauses are introduced by subordinate conjunctions including after, although, as, as if, before, because, if, since, so that, than, though, unless, until, when, where, and while. These are just some of the more common ones.

Example: 
They arrived before the game had ended
- before the game had ended modifying arrived (telling when)

Sometimes the adverb clause is placed at the beginning of the sentence. When it introduces the sentence, it is always set off with a comma
 
Example: 
Before the game had ended, they arrived.

Than and as introduce clauses that are called elliptical clauses. That is they have some of their parts understood but not stated. 
 
Example: 
You are smarter than I. (am smart omitted) 
- than I modifies the comparative word smarter

Instructions: Find the adverb clauses in the following sentences and tell what they modify.

1. Although I became tired, I enjoyed the hike.

2. You cannot become an expert driver until you drive for several years.

3. Buy that coat now because it might be sold tomorrow.

4. I cannot reach the top window unless I have a ladder.

5. After you have eaten lunch, we will leave for New York.


--For answers scroll down.











Answers:

1. Although I became tired, I enjoyed the hike.
- Although I became tired modifies enjoyed

2. You cannot become an expert driver until you drive for several years.
- until you drive for several years modifies can become

3. Buy that coat now because it might be sold tomorrow.
- because it might be sold tomorrow modifies Buy

4. I cannot reach the top window unless I have a ladder.
- unless I have a ladder modifies can reach

5. After you have eaten lunch, we will leave for New York.
- After you have eaten lunch modifies will leave



For your convenience, all of our lessons are available on our website in our lesson archive. Our lessons are also available to purchase in an eBook and a workbook format.

No comments:

Post a Comment