Thursday, August 31, 2023

Lesson 194 - Parts of the Sentence - Indirect Objects

View lesson on Daily Grammar
 
An indirect object is really a prepositional phrase in which the preposition to or for is not stated but understood. It tells to whom or for whom something is done. The indirect object always comes between the verb and the direct object
 
Example: 
She gave me a gift. (indirect object)
She gave to me a gift. (prepositional phrase)
 
The indirect object always modifies the verb. It may have modifiers and be compound. It is used with verbs such as give, tell, send, get, buy, show, build, do, make, save, and read
 
Example: 
She sent the man and me a gift. (indirect object)
She gave to the man and to me a gift. (prepositional phrases)

Instructions: Rewrite the following sentences so each has an indirect object.

1. I asked an important question of my mother.

2. Grandpa read the nursery rhymes to the grandchildren.

3. She bought a new dress for herself.

4. He did a great favor for the whole town.

5. The artist showed his most famous painting to the viewers.


--For answers scroll down.











Answers:

1. I asked my mother an important question.

2. Grandpa read the grandchildren the nursery rhymes.

3. She bought herself a new dress.

4. He did the whole town a great favor.

5. The artist showed the viewers his most famous painting.



For your convenience, all of our lessons are available on our website in our lesson archive. Our lessons are also available to purchase in an eBook and a workbook format.

No comments:

Post a Comment