Tuesday, May 10, 2022

Lesson 427 - Mechanics - Punctuation - Dashes

View lesson on Daily Grammar

Dashes are used to give emphasis to written ideas and are typed by using two hyphens. They should be used sparingly.

Use dashes to emphasize parenthetical material
 
Example: 
Tomorrow--how I fear it!--is the big test.

Instructions: Use dashes where they are needed in the following sentences.

1. All the presentations especially the one by Emily were excellent.

2. I leave I am so excited! for school today.

3. That game what an exciting one it was! is one that we will long remember.

4. There are several persons including myself, incidentally who resent your implications.

5. We approached the dog what a monstrous creature he was! with caution.


--For answers scroll down.











Answers:

1. All the presentations--especially the one by Emily--were excellent.

2. I leave--I am so excited!--for school today.

3. That game--what an exciting one it was!--is one that we will long remember.

4. There are several persons--including myself, incidentally--who resent your implications.

5. We approached the dog--what a monstrous creature he was!--with caution.



For your convenience, all of our lessons are available on our website in our lesson archive. Our lessons are also available to purchase in an eBook and a workbook format.

No comments:

Post a Comment