Friday, January 7, 2022

Lesson 350 - Mechanics - Punctuation - Commas

View lesson on Daily Grammar

Use commas to separate a series of three or more short clauses. 
 
Example: 
I am working, he is sleeping, and she is singing. 
(The comma before the conjunction and is optional, but I prefer using it.)

Use no commas in a series when all items are joined by or, and, or nor.

Instructions: Place commas where they are needed.

1. They are eating we are drinking and you are starving.

2. The music began the lights dimmed and the curtains opened.

3. My sister has left home my brother is at school and my mother is baking bread.

4. Jim fished Jeff hiked and I loafed the whole camp-out.

5. You correct he proofreads but I edit material.


--For answers scroll down.











Answers:

1. They are eating, we are drinking, and you are starving.

2. The music began, the lights dimmed, and the curtains opened.

3. My sister has left home, my brother is at school, and my mother is baking bread.

4. Jim fished, Jeff hiked, and I loafed the whole camp-out.

5. You correct, he proofreads, but I edit material.



For your convenience, all of our lessons are available on our website in our lesson archive. Our lessons are also available to purchase in an eBook and a workbook format.

No comments:

Post a Comment