Friday, March 10, 2023

Lesson 130 - Parts of the Sentence - Appositives

View lesson on Daily Grammar
 
An appositive is a word or group of words that identifies or renames the noun or pronoun that it follows. It is set off by commas unless closely tied to the word that it identifies or renames. ("Closely tied" means that it is needed to identify the word.) 
 
Appositives should not be confused with predicate nominatives. A verb will separate the subject from the predicate nominative. An appositive can follow any noun or pronoun including the subject, direct object, or predicate nominative.
 
Examples: 
My son Carl is a medical technician. (no commas) 
Badger, our dog with a missing leg, has a love for cats. (commas needed)

Appositives may be compound. 
 
Example: 
The two children, Wendy and Sam, are excellent students.

You can make one smooth sentence from two short, choppy sentences by using an appositive
 
Example: 
Ila won the prize. It was a trip to Hawaii. 
Ila won the prize, a trip to Hawaii.

Instructions: Combine the following sentences by using an appositive.

1. Sonja sits beside me in English class. She is a girl from Poland.

2. On the deck are many plants. They are very colorful flowers.

3. There goes David. He is the owner of many businesses.

4. For dinner we had my favorite desserts. We had strawberry pie and cherry nut cake.

5. Last night I talked with Leon. He is my neighbor. He is my business partner.


--For answers scroll down.











Answers:

1. Sonja, a girl from Poland, sits beside me in English class.

2. On the deck are many plants, very colorful flowers.
        - or -
    On the deck are very colorful flowers, many plants.

3. There goes David, the owner of many businesses.

4. For dinner we had my favorite desserts, strawberry pie and cherry nut cake.
        - or -
    For dinner we had strawberry pie and cherry nut cake, my favorite desserts.

5. Last night I talked with Leon, my neighbor and business partner.


For your convenience, all of our lessons are available on our website in our lesson archive. Our lessons are also available to purchase in an eBook and a workbook format.

No comments:

Post a Comment