Tuesday, October 10, 2023

Lesson 222 - Parts of the Sentence - Verbals - Participles

View lesson on Daily Grammar

A participle is a verbal and is used as an adjective. Participles end in various ways. They modify nouns and pronouns and can precede or follow the word modified.
 
A present participle always ends with ing as does the gerund, but remember that it is an adjective. A past participle ends with ed, n, or irregularly. 
 
Examples: 
played, broken, brought, sung, seeing, having seen, being seen, seen, having been seen

A participial phrase is made up of a participle and any complements (direct objects, predicate nominatives, predicate adjectives, or modifiers) like the gerund. A participial phrase that comes at the beginning of the sentence is always followed by a comma and modifies the subject of the sentence.

Instructions: Find the participial phrases in these sentences and tell what word they modify.

1. Taking my time, I hit the basket.

2. Shouting angrily, the man chased the thief.

3. Exhausted from the hike, Jim dropped to the ground.

4. Grinning sheepishly, the boy asked for a date.

5. Trying to open the gate, I tore my coat.


--For answers scroll down.











Answers:

1. Taking my time, I hit the basket.
    Taking my time modifies the subject I

2. Shouting angrily, the man chased the thief.
    - Shouting angrily modifies the subject man

3. Exhausted from the hike, Jim dropped to the ground.
    - Exhausted from the hike modifies the subject Jim

4. Grinning sheepishly, the boy asked for a date.
    - Grinning sheepishly modifies the subject boy

5. Trying to open the gate, I tore my coat.
    - Trying to open the gate modifies the subject I



For your convenience, all of our lessons are available on our website in our lesson archive. Our lessons are also available to purchase in an eBook and a workbook format.

No comments:

Post a Comment