Friday, February 4, 2022

Lesson 370 - Mechanics - Punctuation - Commas

View lesson on Daily Grammar
 
Use a comma or commas to separate the exact words of the speaker from the rest of the sentence unless the sense of the sentence requires some other punctuation. In quoted words, the comma always goes inside the quotation marks.
 
Examples: 
"I can help you now," said the clerk. 
The clerk said, "I can help you now."

You do not use a comma when you start a new sentence after the explanatory words.
 
Example:
"I did it," he said. "Leave me alone."

Instructions: Place commas or other punctuation where they are needed.

1. "I will comply with the rules " he said "Then I will work to change them."

2. "Will the rain continue " the woman asked "I need to work outdoors."

3. "I am glad I missed the game " Jim said "They played so poorly."

4. "Are you going next week " she asked "I will not be here then."

5. "When you finish your projects " the teacher remarked "put them in the basket for grading."


--For answers scroll down.











Answers:

1. "I will comply with the rules," he said. "Then I will work to change them."

2. "Will the rain continue?" the woman asked. "I need to work outdoors."

3. "I am glad I missed the game," Jim said. "They played so poorly."

4. "Are you going next week?" she asked. "I will not be here then."

5. "When you finish your projects," the teacher remarked, "put them in the basket for grading."



For your convenience, all of our lessons are available on our website in our lesson archive. Our lessons are also available to purchase in an eBook and a workbook format.

No comments:

Post a Comment