Instructions: List the verbs or verb phrases in the sentences, and tell whether they are action verbs or state of being verbs. For extra credit, find the helping verbs.
1. Jim plays basketball.
2. They will return on the airplane.
3. Badger is a funny dog.
4. I have been here a long time.
5. I should have been playing the drum.
6. Go home.
--For answers scroll down.
1. plays - action
2. will return - action
3. is - linking or state of being
4. have been - state of being
5. should have been playing - action
6. go - action
The helping verbs are will, have, should, have, and been. The been in sentence 4 is not a helping verb because it is the main verb. The last verb in a verb phrase is always the main verb.