Monday, May 2, 2022

Lesson 421 - Mechanics - Punctuation - Hyphens

View lesson on Daily Grammar

Use a hyphen in compounds made up of two or more words used as an adjective before a noun. This includes coined phrases. Do not use a hyphen when one of the words is an adverb ending in -ly. These compounds will add vividness to your writing, but one should not use too many. 
 
Example: 
I received a last-minute call.

Instructions: Supply hyphens where they are needed in these sentences.

1. The little lost girl had that I'm going to cry again look on her face.

2. Spies must have the I like danger attitude to be successful.

3. We found many interesting things in a forty year old trunk.

4. He gave an I dare you to touch me sneer to the others.

5. Did you read that hair raising story last night?


--For answers scroll down.











Answers:

1. The little lost girl had that I'm-going-to-cry-again look on her face.

2. Spies must have the I-like-danger attitude to be successful.

3. We found many interesting things in a forty-year-old trunk.

4. He gave an I-dare-you-to-touch-me sneer to the others.

5. Did you read that hair-raising story last night?



For your convenience, all of our lessons are available on our website in our lesson archive. Our lessons are also available to purchase in an eBook and a workbook format.

No comments:

Post a Comment