Saturday, December 2, 2023

Quiz for Lessons 246 - 250 - Parts of the Sentence - Compound Sentences

View quiz on Daily Grammar

Instructions: Tell whether the words in quotation marks are independent clauses, dependent clauses, prepositional phrases, participial phrases, gerund phrases, or infinitive phrases.

1. Do not leave for help "until I signal you."

2. "Here are the plants" that you wanted.

3. I remained "staring at the damage" when help arrived.

4. "Having learned the outcome," I was at a loss "to know what to do."

5. The neighbors stared "at me" in unbelief.

Instructions: Combine the following sentences with the appropriate co-ordinate conjunctions.

6. I turned on my radio. There was no sound.

7. The storm had ended. The sun peeked out from the clouds.

8. I did not attend the meeting. John didn't either.

9. You must leave soon. You will be late for class.

10. A phrase has neither a verb nor a subject. The clause has both.


--For answers scroll down.











Answers:

1. until I signal you = dependent clause

2. Here are the plants = independent clause

3. staring at the damage = participial phrase

4. Having learned the outcome = participial phrase, to know what to do = infinitive phrase

5. at me = prepositional phrase

6. I turned on the radio, but there was no sound.

7. The storm had ended, and the sun peeked out from the clouds.

8. I did not attend the meeting, nor did John.

9. You must leave soon, or you will be late for class.

10. A phrase has neither a verb nor a subject, but the clause has both.



For your convenience, all of our lessons are available on our website in our lesson archive. Our lessons are also available to purchase in an eBook and a workbook format.

No comments:

Post a Comment